The music business has shifted dramatically in recent years and artists are now empowered to manage their own careers. The new model reduces the need to rely on the old machine of labels, promoters, and publishing companies and puts all the tools into the artist’s hands. Students will learn to utilize these skills effectively and strategically to advance music careers. This course is designed for those interested in the music business, whether as an artist or simply interested in helping develop talent.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify recent changes in the music industry and how they apply to the artist.
- Perform successful information interviews.
- Use online strategies to network and expand personal influence.
- Build and leverage a fan base.
- Control his/her own social media platforms.
- Manage his/her own career in publicity, touring, distribution, and radio.
- Advise/consult with other artists .
- Recognize the appropriate path for distribution and label partnerships.
- Move his/her career forward in measurable steps.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2013
The Music Business: The Essentials (BCST 1002) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of The Music Business: The Essentials (BCST 1002)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.