This course builds on the knowledge and skills you gained about the music business through the prerequisite BCST 1002 and BCST 1003 courses. You will work towards focused measurable goals to move your career forward each week. The curriculum harnesses a collaborative class environment that will collectively push and inspire your career advancement. You will utilize social media calendars and implement content marketing strategies, while increasing your understanding of techniques to reach the growing market of millennials. You will use fundraising platforms in class to develop your skill set in increasing your own income generation. Music industry guests will be brought in for further networking and discussion.
- 50% in BCST 1003
Below is one offering of BCST 1005 for the Fall 2022 term.
Wed Sep 14 - Wed Nov 30 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 43429
Class meeting times
|Sep 14 - Nov 30||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Permission is required to register for this course if the prerequisites have not been completed, by contacting the Program Assistant, Kim_Petkov@bcit.ca. You will be expected to attend online during the posted class meeting times as this is not a self-paced course.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Establish a defined career path and multi-year plan
- Demonstrate how to market to millennials
- Build an audience and a core fan base
- Fill out applications for FACTOR
- Maximize economies of scale in building a career
- Manage a crowdfunding campaign
- Submit a grant application for funding
- Prepare a social media calendar for audience engagement
- Negotiate performance contracts
- Analyze social responsibility opportunities
- Identify and engage key stakeholders to advance a career
Effective as of Fall 2016
The Music Business: Career Incubator (BCST 1005) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Music Business
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of The Music Business: Career Incubator (BCST 1005)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.