While its true most of us have set up social media accounts, are you aware of the subtle nuances of using your social media effectively? Do you know how to stand out in the digital space over the non-stop buzz of social media noise? Ultimately, understanding the story you wish to tell is key, along with the art of being able to tell a good story. The focus of this course is identifying the story you wish to tell and learning to manipulate social media tools to better tell it. This skill set includes building your (or your business’) social media presence, identifying the best social media platforms for your story, and learning social media time management around your digital storytelling.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 1193 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Mon Mar 27 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 79190
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Mar 27||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Registration is permitted after the course start date up to January 20th by calling 604-434-1610. Please note that the lecture component for this course is asynchronous, not requiring you to meet online at a specific time, however, there will be set deadlines for assignments and exams.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Differentiate between social and broadcast media in it's designed purpose.
- Identify the differences between traditional marketing and social media marketing.
- Define and fine tune your social media voice.
- Manage your personal or business brand on social media.
- Discuss and debate concepts of risk, responsibility, and ethics within social media engagement.
- Build, support and leverage a personal community on social media.
- Identify different ways to collect social media metrics.
- Adapt and make changes to your social media storytelling in response to social media metrics.
- Engage in a social media storytelling campaign.
- Collect and analyze social media metrics from a social media campaign.
- Choose the ideal social media platforms for any given project to optimize your time.
- Describe methods of social media time management.
- Develop an ongoing social media plan for a personal or business brand.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Social Media Storytelling (BCST 1193) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Social Media Storytelling (BCST 1193)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.