The course will help learners develop their knowledge of how to manage new construction, coordinate construction for larger and more complex buildings. Focus will be on developing understanding from a construction perspective of design details, new responsibilities and skills needed, understanding of impact of onsite decisions on final compliance and performance under the Passive House standard or the Upper Steps of the BC Energy Step Code for Part 3 and Part 9 buildings. Students will become familiar with tools and construction checklists to systematically manage relevant issues for zero energy/emissions or Passive House buildings. Key topics include the airtightness, enclosure details, thermal bridging, mechanical services, construction management, quality assurance construction checklists, and compliance documentation. The course will provide a strong foundation for subsequent XZEB 1172 Site Supervision Applied Project for Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Construction. This course is offered online with live virtual lectures and self-paced learning in the BCIT Learning Hub.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Be aware of the responsibilities and skills needed for construction management of zero energy/emissions or Passive House building construction sites
- Provide feedback to project team on air barrier system design details to ensure constructability
- Explain the impact of various construction decisions on project performance and compliance
- Be aware of approaches to plan, schedule, and coordinate work on construction sites to ensure quality constructing and performance verification of air barrier, insulation, and thermal bridging, and mechanical sytems
- Explain the best practices for managing construction quality for airtightness and enclosure thermal performance (from design to construction and testing)
- Explain how construction checklists can be used to manage quality assurance for various aspects of a project
- Describe best practice approaches for onsite training and engagement with trades and workers who will impact project performance and compliance
- Explain construction documentation needed for compliance
- Explain requirements to prepare for and support airtightness testing activities
Effective as of Winter 2022
Site Supervision of Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Construction (XZEB 1171) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Supervising Net-Zero and Passive House Construction
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Site Supervision of Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Construction (XZEB 1171)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.