- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course covers the fundamentals of Net Zero energy/emissions and Passive House buildings, with focus on wood-frame construction. The course will help learners develop their knowledge of international, national and provincial zero energy/emissions buildings codes and standards. Students will also develop an understanding of net zero energy/emissions buildings principles, science, systems, materials and cost. The course presents multiple case studies and provides a strong foundation for subsequent zero energy/emissions building courses. Key topics include: BC Building Code’s Energy Step Code and Zero Carbon Step Code, Net Zero, Zero Carbon and Passive House standards, operational and embodied carbon, energy efficiency performance metrics, building science, integrated design, introduction to low-TEDI and airtight enclosures, introduction to net zero mechanical and electrical systems, and costing. This course is offered online with live virtual lectures and self-paced learning in the BCIT Learning Hub.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XZEB 1001 for the Spring/Summer 2024 term.
Tue Apr 02 - Tue May 14 (7 weeks)
- 7 weeks
- CRN 68216
- Domestic fees $511.04International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Apr 02 - May 14
|13:00 - 16:00
|Apr 02 - May 14
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
(1) This is a 7 week course with live web lectures on Tuesdays (1PM-4PM). Live lectures are recorded for review, but attendance is strongly recommended. Additional independant learning is completed in the online course portal. (2) Tuition grants may be available for learners with projects in the City of Richmond or the City of New Westminster. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare the BC Energy Step Code, near Net Zero Energy building, Zero Carbon, and Passive House standards.
- Describe the integrated design and construction processes associated with zero energy/emissions and Passive House projects.
- Describe the 6 principles of high-performance buildings and the "envelope-first approach" to near Zero Energy Buildings.
- Explain the fundamentals of building science as it relates to heat, air, and moisture transmission.
- Understand emerging issues related to materials and assemblies.
- Describe the common mechanical and electrical systems found in Net Zero Energy and Passive House buildings (heating, cooling, domestic hot water, ventilation with heat recovery).
- Explain the approaches to evaluating costs and decision making for Net Zero Energy and Passive House buildings.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Fundamentals of Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Buildings (XZEB 1001) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Essentials of Net-Zero and Passive House Construction
- Supervising Net-Zero and Passive House Construction
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fundamentals of Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Buildings (XZEB 1001)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.