This course will provide the candidate with the skills necessary to successfully manage a small corporate research and development department. Emphasis will be on identifying the unique characteristics of an R&D department in terms of its funding, its personnel, and mandate to be creative and productive.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of TMGT 7103 for the Fall 2023 term.
Wed Oct 11 - Wed Nov 08 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 32756
Class meeting times
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course has mandatory virtual sessions on Wednesdays, 1830-2130 (PST). This course forms part of the Bachelor of Technology in TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT degree program. Be sure to log in to The Learning Hub course instance prior to your first session so you know how to attend. Instructions for course reading materials will be provided to you by your instructor on The Learning Hub. You may proceed to register for this course online, or by contacting Student Information and Enrollment Services (SIES) at 604-434-1610 or 1-866-434-1610 Toll-Free (Canada and US only).
This course offering is full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the candidate will be able to:
- Evaluate management strategies in a small corporate R&D department through case study analysis.
- Define the unique characteristics of R&D in terms of its funding, people, and mandate to innovate.
- Explain how to recognize creative people and foster a creative environment for R&D.
- Explain how to make the link between R&D and corporate strategy, and how R&D can respond to the challenges of globalization.
- Create an R&D strategic plan and a balanced portfolio of R&D projects.
- Write an R&D proposal.
Effective as of Winter 2013
Research and Development Management (TMGT 7103) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems
Advanced Diploma Part-time
School of Transportation
- Technology Management
Bachelor of Technology Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Research and Development Management (TMGT 7103)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.