In this practical training, students will apply theory and industry best practices in mass timber construction. They will gain hands-on experience in the on-site installation of a mass timber structure and associated components according to specifications. Students will apply safe practices for tool and equipment operation and site management. They will use project drawings to verify materials and work as a team to install mass timber structural components and connections according to specifications. Students will participate in the safe lifting and handling of mass timber structural components under instructor supervision. They will demonstrate mass timber construction skills including layout, cutting, drilling and inserting fasteners according to specification.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the main activity areas on a construction site.
- Identify the key tools and equipment used for the installation of mass timber.
- Describe the main activities involved in the installation of mass timber.
- Identify Personal Protective Equipment that must be worn by workers on a construction site.
- Work as a team to plan and install mass timber structural components and connections.
- Interpret and use project drawings and specifications to install a mass timber structure.
- Verify mass timber materials, hardware, fasteners, layout and installation according to specifications.
- Demonstrate safe use of tools and equipment for mass timber construction skills.
- Demonstrate safe use of access, rigging, and hoisting equipment for mass timber construction.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Practicum Construction of Mass Timber Buildings (TMBR 1060) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Construction of Mass Timber Structures
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Practicum Construction of Mass Timber Buildings (TMBR 1060)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.