This course deals with ancillary perfusion technologies used in the support of patients with cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular pathologies. The Clinical Perfusionist must have a thorough understanding of all related technologies, and educated to a level that enables them to take a lead in patient care outside of the routine Perfusion environment. This process is essential for Perfusionists working within a cardiovascular centre.
Below is one offering of PERF 7220 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Mon Apr 24 - Fri Aug 04 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 60863
Class meeting times
|Apr 24 - Aug 04||N/A||N/A||Distance|
- Guided learning format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This online Learning Hub course requires computer and internet access. This course is reserved for students who have been accepted into the Cardiovascular Perfusion Advanced Specialty Certificate program. Students must have successfully completed all Term 2 courses. The PTS Program Assistant for Cardiovascular Perfusion can be reached at email@example.com.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Assess the concepts and application related to OPCAB, Robotic and Port Access techniques
- Describe equipment and techniques used during repair of the thoracic/abdominal aorta
- Differentiate the practice and application of hemofiltration and dialysis on CPB.
- Outline the mechanics, physiology and use of an Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump
- Assess the function, application and limitations of intra-operative blood conservation techniques
- Analyze the indications and application of isolated limb perfusion
- Evaluate the specific strategies and procedures solid organ preservation for transplantation
- List the donor and recipient selection criteria for organ transplantation, and discuss equipment and techniques.
- Describe commonly used Ventricular Assist Devices
- Analyze the indications, selection and application of Extra Corporeal Life Support (ECLS)
- Online the management of special cases potentially seen in cardiac surgery.
- Describe the specific strategies used to deal with potentially catastrophic situations on CPB
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Perfusion Equipment and Techniques 3 (PERF 7220) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Perfusion Equipment and Techniques 3 (PERF 7220)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.