A continuation of PERF 7200, this course will focus on the safe application, maintenance and weaning of Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB). The physiological principles of Extracorporeal circulation and its effects on the body will be a major focus of this course. A thorough understanding of metabolism, anticoagulation and the systemic effects of CPB are essential to the practicing Clinical Perfusionist.
Below is one offering of PERF 7210 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Thu Apr 13 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 83015
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Apr 13||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This is an online course requiring computer and internet access. This course is reserved for students who have been accepted into the Cardiovascular Perfusion Advanced Specialty Certificate program. Students must have successfully completed all Term 1 courses. For details contact: email@example.com
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the systemic effects CPB can have on multiple organ systems
- Describe pre-operative preparation techniques and patient considerations
- Explain the importance of Coagulation Management while on CPB
- Discuss the application of appropriate anticoagulation techniques during CPB
- List the common tests used to asses anticoagulation during CPB
- Explain the principles involved in the safe initiation of CPB
- Describe the maintenance phase of CPB, and the tools used by Perfusionists to ensure safe and effective care of the cardiothoracic patient during this period of time
- List the steps involved when preparing for separation, or weaning from bypass
- Describe the process of weaning from CPB
- Compare the systemic effects CPB has on various organ systems
- Describe the application hypothermia during CPB
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Perfusion Equipment and Techniques 2 (PERF 7210) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Perfusion Equipment and Techniques 2 (PERF 7210)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.