- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course provides an overview of the key legislation, common law and administrative policies that apply to Canadian not-for-profit organizations (NFPOs), including registered charities and societies. You will examine and apply the principles and practices relevant to incorporation of British Columbia societies and federal NFPOs, charitable registration, organizational maintenance, and good governance. This course will help you understand crucial governance processes and structures that form the foundations of effective organizations.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student willbe able to:
- Define the principles of good governance and legal and regulatory compliance of charities.
- Explain the importance of accountability to donors, volunteers, regulators.
- Identify building blocks for good governance from fields of law and business (social enterprise).
- Identify the different legal forms of organizations which are included in the 'third sector' (not-for-profit) in terms of reporting obligations, tax status, and managerial decision-making.
- Define the elements of a comprehensive good governance system.
- Identify trends and implications in the best practices of good governance with respect to: legislation and regulations; investors; judicial decisions; and information technology.
- Identify ten helpful sources for current information with respect to good governance practices.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Law and Governance (NPMA 1850) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Nonprofit Management
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Law and Governance (NPMA 1850)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.