- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course focuses on strategies for nonprofit organizations to develop good relations with all levels of government (municipal, provincial and federal) in both the bureaucratic and political spheres. You will examine how organizations with good relationships in the various levels of government can have an impact on legislation and policy development that can enhance the success of your organization. More importantly, you will gain an applied understanding of how to improve your advocacy skills, including advocacy concepts for grant writing and managing regulatory compliance.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the three levels of government and explain their respective scope of authority and responsibility in Canada.
- Explain how government support leverages private support and vice versa in terms of funding to nonprofit organizations.
- Define important criteria for hiring a government relations consultant.
- Describe the importance of advocacy to non-for-profit organizations.
- Explain strategies for persuading others and gaining support for your organization’s mission at all levels of governments to enhance your organizational mission.
- Develop a strategic plan for your organization to establish influential contacts in both the bureaucratic and political spheres of the three levels of government.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Government Relations (NPMA 1800) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Government Relations (NPMA 1800)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.