This course introduces students to the basics of remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) including applications and history. This is followed by an overview of the current Transport Canada RPAS regulations and all relevant laws. RPAS operating procedures are discussed next with an emphasis on safety and understanding the capabilities and limitations of the aircraft. The last module provides students with a hands-on opportunity to setup an RPAS in preparation for an image acquisition mission.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XRPA 1100 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Feb 27 - Sat Mar 04 (4 days)
- 4 days
- CRN 90092
Class meeting times
|Feb 27 - Mar 04||Mon, Wed, Fri||08:30 - 11:30||Online|
|Feb 27 - Mar 04||Sat||12:30 - 15:30||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
The field lab on Saturday for this course will take place at the BCIT Burnaby Campus.
This course offering has been cancelled. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recall main RPAS components and their function.
- Understand RPAS history and main applications.
- Understand and implement Transport Canada regulations to the safe operation of RPAS.
- Recall pertinent laws and regulations relating to RPAS operations.
- Recall normal and emergency RPAS procedures pertinent to mission planning.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the correct emergency procedure in the event of a specific failure and/or situation.
- Understand how to check and adjust RPAS parameters and fail-safe settings.
- Demonstrate on how to setup an RPAS for image acquisition.
Effective as of Winter 2022
Introduction to RPAS Safety and Transport Canada Certification (XRPA 1100) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Introduction to Forest Health Quantification with RPAS
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to RPAS Safety and Transport Canada Certification (XRPA 1100)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.