This course builds upon concepts presented in the microcredential, Introductory Studies in Mass Timber Construction. Students will examine project planning, crew and site preparations, and material management for the safe and efficient installation of mass timber structures. They will read and interpret project drawings and documents and analyze options and approaches to implementing the installation of a given mass timber structure from receipt of materials to final installation. They will learn best practices for the handling and protection of mass timber materials and techniques and standards for installing mass timber components, connections, fasteners, and temporary bracing. Students will review the safe use of specialized tools and equipment and troubleshoot problems and defects in mass timber installations.
Below is one offering of TMBR 1031 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Feb 27 - Sat Apr 08 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 90787
Class meeting times
|Feb 27 - Apr 08||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
This is an Industry Services delivery. All applications must be approved by Ann Martineau, Industry Services Assistant: email@example.com .
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe crew readiness and site preparations for the safe and efficient installation of mass timber structures.
- Identify project requirements related to tasks and skills, safety, site preparation, and material delivery, storage and inventory.
- Analyze options and approaches to implementing the installation of a given mass timber structure.
- Read and interpret drawings and project documents for a given mass timber project.
- Interpret the sequence and placement of mass timber structural components from shop drawings, digital models and project documents.
- Describe best practices for the handling and protection of mass timber materials from receipt on-site to final installation.
- Explain the process for installing mass timber structures from receipt of materials to final installation.
- Describe techniques and standards for installing mass timber components, connections, fasteners, and temporary bracing.
- Identify types of specialized tools for applications in mass timber construction and describe their safe use.
- Troubleshoot problems and defects in mass timber installations.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Installation of Mass Timber Structures (MC) (TMBR 1031)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.