- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The goal of CARD 1285 is to teach practical writing skills and communication strategies for continual professional competence of the Allied Health Professional in the workplace. The course will cover standards for documenting patient care, writing letters and memos, preparing written information, writing policies & procedures, completing reports and preparing oral presentations. Students will also be introduced to scholarly writing, researching and writing about topics related to the field for possible publication in professional journals for profession. This course outlines theoretical and practical applications of professionalism as they relate to communicating effectively and maintaining professional relationships in the allied health workplace.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of CARD 1285 for the Winter 2024 term.
Wed Jan 03 - Fri Mar 22 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 41478
- Domestic fees $682.54International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 03 - Mar 22||N/A||N/A||Distance|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Guided learning format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This online Learning Hub course is for students in the Cardiology Diploma program. Students are responsible for ensuring prerequisite courses are completed PRIOR to registration. See course description for a list of individual prerequisites. IMPORTANT NOTE: Registration is available on an individual course basis for those who wish to take continuing education credits (Max 3 courses). Registration does not imply admission to the program. This course may be subject to cancellation if registration numbers are low.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Recognize the diversity of personalities in a workplace setting and how to navigate.
- Outline the importance of interprofessional communication and collaboration in healthcare.
- Effectively prioritize time and tasks in the online learning environment.
- Effectively communicate research to an audience written and orally on work related topics.
- Follow a systematic process in planning and writing technical, health-care related documents.
- Select, organize and prepare information effectively for memos, letters, incident reports and other reports.
- Prepare/deliver clear/concise written correspondence with appropriate language and style for the reader.
- State the purpose and importance of academic research for the profession.
- Use online tools to conduct research and implement basic research techniques in writing.
- Problem solve and use of logic/sound judgment in decision making through class discussion.
- Describe the roles of other health care providers and the contributions they make to the health care team in different healthcare contexts.
- Recognize the importance of life-long learning and engagement in the professional community.
- Be familiar with pertinent professional associations and publications through research and critical analysis.
- Engage, understand and follow institutional guidelines in organizations and profession.
- Recognize the general expectations of professionalism in the field, e.g. following institutional directives, recognizing workplace hierarchy, appropriate language and apparel.
- Describes healthcare role to patient/client and members of the health care team.
- Recognize the value of a multicultural work environment.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2021
Communication for Allied Health Professionals (CARD 1285) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiology Technology
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Communication for Allied Health Professionals (CARD 1285)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.