The goals of this course are to introduce students to basic electricity, simple circuit analysis, electrical safety, operation principles, and basic building blocks of biomedical instrumentation. Some biomedical devices relating to Cardiology Technology practice are discussed.
- Principles of Math 12, Physics 11 (C+ or better)
Below is one offering of BMET 1107 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Fri Mar 24 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 41229
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Mar 24||N/A||N/A||Distance|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Guided learning format.
This online Learning Hub course is for students in the Cardiology Diploma program. Students are responsible for ensuring prerequisite courses are completed PRIOR to registration. See course description for a list of individual prerequisites. IMPORTANT NOTE: Registration is available on an individual course basis for those who wish to take continuing education credits (Max 3 courses). Registration does not imply admission to the program. This course may be subject to cancellation if registration numbers are low. Offered in Fall and Winter only.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Interpret units of measurements and their significance
- Define common electrical entities and derive their relationships
- Analyze simple electrical circuits using Ohm's Law
- Distinguish between macro and micro electric shocks, and discuss methods of mitgation
- State functions and characteristics of common medical transducers and biopotential electrodes
- Discuss characteristics of biopotential amplifiers and filters on physiological signals
- Explain functional components of typical digital medical equipment and network information system
- Interpret functional building blocks of medical equipment and waveform display specifications
- Describe the clinical applications, principles of operations, functional building blocks, and common problems of selected biomedical devices.
- Distinguish between types of equipment service providers and review simple troubleshooting concepts
Effective as of Winter 2022
Basic Cardiac Instrumentation and Electricity (BMET 1107) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiology Technology
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Basic Cardiac Instrumentation and Electricity (BMET 1107)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.