- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The aim of the course is to enable students to develop knowledge and examination of various methods of conceptual estimating used in commercial and institutional buildings and their significance in the development of projects prior to the design and construction phases. The course will look at why budget/conceptual estimates are necessary, what factors need to be considered when preparing, evaluating and discussing project and operating costs during the early stages of a project when very little information is available and the design is very minimal. The course will also look at a number of different types of conceptual estimate, when to best use each and the limitations of the estimates types. The lectures will be delivered in 3 hour units per week by a qualified Professional Quantity Surveyor. The 3 hour units will be broken down into a 1 hour lecture and a 2 hour lab session allowing the student to work within a group context to assist learning and allowing question and answer time with the lecturer.
- 50% in BLDT 2091
Below is one offering of CMGT 8050 for the Winter 2024 term.
Wed Jan 03 - Wed Mar 20 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 90645
- Domestic fees $757.53International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 03 - Mar 20||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 298|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Departmental approval needed
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Develop an outline of the key elements of the owner’s decision process when considering to initiate a project.
- Generate a site options decision matrix with key elements.
- Examine different types of conceptual estimating techniques.
- Select and apply applicable conceptual estimating techniques.
- Examine and evaluate the role of life cycle costs in the decision making process.
- Evaluate procurement and project delivery strategies.
- Assess and apply contingency strategies.
Effective as of Fall 2011
Budgeting/Conceptual Estimating (CMGT 8050) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Construction Management
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Budgeting/Conceptual Estimating (CMGT 8050)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.