Once content is captured in camera, the post-production department and assistant editor develop the content for viewing. This is a critical role that is both rewarding and challenging. This course provides an opportunity for the student to further develop practical skills that assistant editors need to work on today’s larger television series, movies of the week, and feature films. Students will follow a production workflow using industry standard software, and explore typical tasks of the Assistant Editor, including dailies, managing media, ingesting, logging, preparing editor materials, and video editing.
- 50% in BCST 1180
Below is one offering of BCST 2290 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 12 - Tue Nov 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 44221
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Nov 28||Tue||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby SE10 Rm. 250|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Follow a post-production workflow.
- Complete a technical project using editing techniques.
- Import, transcode and synchronize media.
- Log clips and organize bins for editing.
- Identify technical errors.
- Group multi-camera clips together.
- Perform editing tasks effectively.
- Integrate graphics and effects into an edit timeline window.
- Compress video using different codecs.
- Trouble shoot and solve technical faults.
- Prepare a finished timeline video for online distribution.
- Prepare and present a finished timeline for post-audio editing.
- Export video clips for various screening platforms.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2017
Assistant Editing Professional (BCST 2290) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Video Production and Editing
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Assistant Editing Professional (BCST 2290)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.