September Seminars will be hosted in the Learning Hub
September 22nd from 3:30 – 4:30 – Learning Strategies for a Smart Start: You’ve brought many learning skills with you from previous educational experiences – start now to fine tune and develop new learning skills you’ll need for BCIT. In this session we’ll discuss what it means to be a strategic learner, the learning activities you need to start from, and strategies for reviewing and improving the way you learn. Seminar brought to you by the Learning Commons team.
September 29th from 3:30 – 4:30 pm – Managing Time and Staying Motivated: BCIT peer tutors consistently report time management and organization skills as the two most important study skills students need in order to achieve success at BCIT. In this session you’ll learn strategies for sustaining motivation and preventing procrastination and discuss effective time management skills to help you organize your time. Brought to you by the Learning Commons team.
October 1st from 3:30 – 4:30 pm – Exam Preparation: When it’s time to demonstrate what you’ve learned, be strategic about how you prepare and perform. Exam preparation starts with listening in classes, reading course materials, and completing assigned work. In this session we’ll discuss strategies you can use every week to prepare for exams, as well as strategies for studying in the final weeks before exams.
All seminars will place within the Learning Hub and are led by BCIT Faculty. No registration is required. To access the seminars:
- Log into the Learning Hub
- Look inside My Courses > All to locate BCIT Peer Tutoring
- Choose ACTIVITIES > VIRTUAL CLASSROOM from the navigation menu at the top of the page
- Select OSSI Room from the list and click on the session link to enter the virtual meeting room (note: if you click on Title the list will sort alphabetically by school).
- You will be taken to a page called MEETING LOBBY that provides information about the session•At the bottom of the Meeting Lobby page, click on the button that reads ENTER MEETING ROOM. Note: the button must be blue for you to enter, and you cannot enter a room early.
- Follow the prompts to activate your microphone and camera if desired
Check out our Online Study Skills Guide for more tutor videos (like the one above) and links to books, DVDs and online resources.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us by e-mail at Learning_Commons@bcit.ca.