September / October 2020
Learning skills seminars
All seminars are taking place within the Learning Hub and are led by BCIT Faculty. No registration is required. To access the seminars:
- Log into the Learning Hub
- Look inside My Courses > All to locate BCIT Peer Tutoring 2020-2021
- Choose ACTIVITIES > VIRTUAL CLASSROOM from the navigation menu at the top of the page
- Select OSSI Room from the list and click on the session link to enter the virtual meeting room (note: if you click on Title the list will sort alphabetically by school).
- You will be taken to a page called MEETING LOBBY that provides information about the session•At the bottom of the Meeting Lobby page, click on the button that reads ENTER MEETING ROOM. Note: the button must be blue for you to enter, and you cannot enter a room early.
- Follow the prompts to activate your microphone and camera if desired
Wednesday, September 30 @ 3:00 pm
Online Learning Skills
- The move to online study has presented a number of challenges to students, both globally and here at BCIT. In this session we’ll look at strategies for surviving and thriving in the world of virtual learning. Topics include the demands of online study, how to organize your study space, and time management.
Monday, October 5 @ 6:00 pm
Preparing for Exams
- Exam time is always stressful for students. In this session, we discuss strategies you can use every week to prepare for exams, as well as how to organize your time in the days leading up to an exam. Topics include approaches to revision, using study groups, and dealing with exam anxiety.
Wednesday, October 7 @ 3:00 pm
Staying Motivated and Managing Time
- BCIT Peer Tutors consistently report time management and organizational skills as the two most important study skills students need in order to achieve success at BCIT. In this session, you’ll learn strategies for maintaining motivation and preventing procrastination and look at approaches to manage your time effectively.
Check out our Online Study Skills Guide for more tutor videos (like the one above) and links to books, DVDs and online resources.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us by e-mail at Learning_Commons@bcit.ca.