One-to-one Peer Tutoring:
- Start by logging on to BCIT TutorTrac and follow the prompts to find schedules. A 1-to-1 schedule appears for each tutor “linked” to the course you select (e.g. qualified to tutor it). If there’s a tutor and time that works for you, click on the appointment and save to book it.
- If no tutor is linked to your course (e.g. no schedule pops up), there still may be a tutor who can help. Perhaps your course is very similar to one a tutor is taking. Almost all drop-in peer tutors are also 1-to-1 tutors, so use the method described below to find a drop-in tutor who can help with your course. The tutor simply needs to ask Learning Commons staff to link them to that course. You can then book an appointment with that tutor via TutorTrac.
Drop-in Peer Tutoring:
- The drop-in schedule [PDF] provides tutor names and their programs as well as the times they work. The program codes [PDF] provides a full program name for each acronym. Drop by to see the tutor when they are scheduled to work.
- If there is no tutor in your program, there may still be a tutor who can help. Try a tutor in a program similar to yours. Or a tutor who has likely taken a course like yours.
- (For example, Electrical and Computer Engineering tutors can assist level 1 & 2 Electric Apprentice students. Tutors from engineering programs can assist with Technology Entry math and physics. Both Interior Design and Architectural Building Technology tutors can help with AutoCad.)
- Take time to drop by during scheduled hours to meet tutors and find those who can help.
- A tip: Attend a few different drop-in tutoring sessions – you may find that some days are less busy than others and you are able to spend more time 1-to-1 with the tutor.
All peer tutors from BCIT business programs have taken first year accounting (FMGT 1100), business math, and statistics. If you are in a BCIT business program, you can work on these subjects with any of the business peer tutors. If you are in the Accounting or Finance program, your accounting course (FMGT 1105) is slightly different and you’d need to work with a peer tutor from Accounting or Finance.
Many of our peer tutors are able to help with math. Math courses are quite specialized at BCIT so you’ll need to work with a tutor in a program similar to yours.
Writing Tutoring: 1-to-1 BBY
All appointments are drop-in. Maximums allowed are three sessions per week. This is a free service.
Peer Tutoring: 1-to-1 BBY
You must book an appointment via TutorTrac up to 48 hours in advance. The cost for a 1-hour peer tutoring session is $20. Pay by purchasing a voucher at the Library Services counter before the session. Present the voucher to your tutor at the start of the session. Maximums allowed are 2 sessions per day and 3 sessions per week. You may cancel an appointment up to 24 hours in advance. If you miss an appointment without cancelling 24 hours in advance, you will be asked to pay for the session by presenting a voucher to the Learning Commons office (SE14–201B).
Peer Tutoring: Drop-in BBY
Just show up at scheduled times and participate. Table signs indicate the program of tutors at each table. Find the right table, meet the tutors, sign in at the TutorTrac kiosk, and get down to work. You will need your BCIT student number in order to log in. This is a free service.
You may cancel an 1-to-1 peer tutoring appointment up to 24 hours in advance. It is important to decide early and cancel if you can’t make it. When you book an appointment, the tutor receives notice that they are scheduled to work and will be there to meet you. If you miss without cancelling, you will be asked to pay for the session and will not be able to book another appointment until payment is made.
We do most of our hiring in April for the following September-May, and sometimes hire a few tutors in November for a January start. Peer Tutors need to have excellent grades and instructor recommendations.
Contact Kathy_Musial@bcit.ca for more information.