General interest course for those interested in artwork, furniture building and minor repair jobs. Focus is on the oxy-acetylene process - brazing, cutting, forming, shaping and welding. Last two sessions are spent working on a small project of the student's choice. Project materials NOT included. CSA-approved leather steel-toed boots and 100% cotton coveralls required.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of WELD 0120 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Oct 22 - Sat Nov 26 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 31387
Class meeting times
|Oct 22 - Nov 26||Sat||08:30 - 15:00||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
Steel toed boots and 100% cotton coveralls, fire retardant coveralls or others recommended for welding are acceptable. 100% cotton coveralls can be purchased from the Burnaby BCIT Bookstore. No class on November 12.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe the oxy-fuel gas cutting process.
- Describe the oxy-fuel gas fusion welding process.
- Describe the oxy-fuel brazing process.
- Identify the main components of an oxy-fuel station.
- Describe the three types of oxy-fuel flames used in fusion welding and brazing.
- Assemble, ignite, shut down and maintain oxy-fuel gas cutting and welding equipment.
- Describe and use the plasma cutting process.
- Identify the thermal effects of distortion and learn how to control it.
- Identify ferrous and non-ferrous alloys that cannot be cut with oxy-fuel gas.
- Identify the characteristics of an acceptable cut.
- Perform freehand straight and bevel cuts on mild steel plate and sheet.
- Pierce holes in mild steel plate.
- Perform freehand cuts on structural shapes and on round stock.
- Identify four weld positions.
- Describe how to fit up and weld joints.
- Describe how to examine welds for defects.
- Weld stringer beads in the flat position without and with filler rod.
- Fusion weld a flat corner joint, a horizontal lap joint, a horizontal tee joint, and a flat butt joint.
- Describe the correct procedure for brazing.
- Braze a fillet weld on a horizontal lap joint.
- Braze a fillet weld on a horizontal tee joint.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Welding for the Artisan (WELD 0120)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.