Covers shielding gases, electrodes, equipment, and practical applications including light gauge welding, repair etc. Majority of the welding will be done on mild steel with limited use of stainless steel and aluminum included. CSA approved leather steel toed boots and 100% cotton coveralls required.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of WELD 0110 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Oct 22 - Sat Nov 26 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 30847
Class meeting times
|Oct 22 - Nov 26||Sat||08:30 - 15:00||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
Steel toed boots and 100% cotton coveralls, fire retardant coveralls or others recommended for welding are acceptable. 100% cotton coveralls can be purchased from the Burnaby BCIT Bookstore. No class on November 12.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe the GTAW process.
- Identify the function of the electrode in GTAW.
- Identify the function of the shielding gases in GTAW.
- Identify the basic components of a GTAW work station.
- Identify applications of GTAW.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the GTAW process.
- Identify the safety requirements for GTAW.
- Describe types of GTAW power sources.
- Identify controls on GTAW power sources.
- Identify types of shielding gases used in GTAW.
- Describe flowmeters and gas regulators.
- Identify the types of GTAW electrodes.
- Assemble GTAW equipment.
- Describe joint preparation for GTAW.
- Identify weld defects common to GTAW.
- Strike an arc using both the touch start and the high frequency methods.
- Weld stringer beads in the flat position on mild steel sheet.
- Perform fillet welds in various positions on lap and tee joints as determined by the Instructor.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Gas Tungsten Arc Basic (TIG) (WELD 0110)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.