- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Visual composition and layout focuses on the process of creating ideas and learning how to effectively place elements in a design to produce balanced, creative, design solutions. You will develop design ideas through applying the principles of composition and layout (the organization of visual elements). This course emphasizes the development and application of skills through research, analysis, hands-on projects, and exercises. In-class presentations will introduce creative and psychology principles and their application in the design process. Conceptual skills will be developed through projects and exercises, which will be done both in-class and as homework. You will analyze and evaluate design work through group critiques and individual written and verbal deconstruction of designs. Instructor feedback will be given during group and/or individual critiques.
- 50% in MDIA 1049
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop creative concepts that reinforce both creative and psychological principles.
- Apply principles of visual composition to reinforce communication of information and concept.
- Express meaning through compositional relationships.
- Create a symmetrically or asymmetrically balanced layout.
- Design a layout with clear focus.
- Create a visual hierarchy within a design layout.
- Direct the viewer's eye through the layout.
- Apply organizational principles to reinforce the communication of content.
- Create a typographic and graphic hierarchy.
- Organize visual elements through applying principles of alignment and using a grid.
- Apply visual identity consistently across pages.
- Analyze layouts and define how they work in terms of compositional and organizational principles.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Visual Composition & Layout (MDIA 1105) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Visual Composition & Layout (MDIA 1105)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.