- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience by providing further training in 3rd Class power engineering subject matter. Upon successful completion of this course, participants will have sufficient knowledge to challenge the 3rd Class, Part B, Paper 1 certificate examinations administered under the provincial regulation authority (as described in the BC Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/17_104_2004 ). Topics include Boilers; Boiler Control Systems; Feedwater Treatment; Pumps; Welding Procedures and Inspection; Pressure Vessels within the scope of 3rd Class, Part B, Paper 1. This course in combination with POWR 1215, POWR 1216 and POWR 1218 as well as the requisite qualifying experience should allow students the opportunity to seek 3rd class power engineer's certification with the provincial regulatory body.
- Third Class, Part A OR Departmental Approval
Below is one offering of POWR 1217 for the Winter 2024 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 19854
- Domestic fees $218.19International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is a distance learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course must be registered with POWR 1218. No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Fulfill the Interprovincial examination requirements within the scope of 3rd Class, Part B, Paper 1 in the subjects of Boilers; Boiler Control Systems; Feedwater Treatment; Pumps; Welding Procedures and Inspection; Pressure Vessels
- Describe the constructional details, safe and efficient operation, testing, maintenance and repair of high pressure boilers, boiler fittings and related auxiliary equipment.
- Describe the principles of operation, constructional details, applications, and operating and maintenance procedures of typical power plant pumps.
- Describe Code requirements, welding methods and equipment associated with construction and repair of boilers and pressure vessels.
- Describe the applications, principles and chemistry of power plant external water treatment systems and equipment, including clarification, filtration, cold & hot lime softening, sodium and hydrogen cation exchange and demineralization.
- Describe boiler internal water treatment, testing and analysis.
- Describe combustion principles, boiler draft equipment and related instrumentation.
- Describe boiler firing methods and equipment for various types of fuels including natural gas, oil and coal.
- Describe detailed commissioning, operating, testing and maintenance procedures for power boilers, high temperature water boilers and sulphur recovery boilers.
- Describe operating and safety instrumentation and control systems for power boilers.
- Describe the constructional details, safe and efficient operation, testing, maintenance and repair of typical heating boilers, boiler fittings and related auxiliary equipme
Note: A copy of the reference Syllabus for Third Class Power Engineer's Examinations can be sourced from SOPEEC ( https://www.sopeec.org/syllabus/third-class/ )
Effective as of Fall 2023
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Third Class Part B Paper 1 (POWR 1217)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.