This course suppliements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the British Columbia Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressuer Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Inerprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's examination for Part B - Paper 2 of a Third Class Power Engineer's Certificate. On successful completion of this course, as well as courses POWR 1215, POWR 1216, and POWR 1217, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfil the requirements of the Third Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations examinations administered under the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate plant equipment within the scope of a Third Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include lubrication, steam turbines, gas turbines, refrigeration.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of POWR 1218 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 19856
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
This course must be registered with POWR 1217. No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the Interprovincial examination requirements in the subjects of lubrication, steam turbines, gas turbines, internal combustion engines, air compression, and refrigeration.
- Describe the applications and maintenance requirements of various lubricants employed with power plant machinery.
- Describe the principles of operation, construction details and operating procedures for various types of steam turbines.
- Describe the principles of operation, construction details and operating procedures for steam turbine auxiliary systems and equipment.
- Describe the principles of operation, construction details and operating procedures for typical industrial gas turbines.
- Describe the principles of operation, construction details, troubleshooting and operating procedures for typical industrial internal combustion engines.
- Describe the principles of operation, construction details and operating procedures for typical industrial air compressors.
- Describe the principles of operation, construction details and operating procedures for typical industrial compression and absorption refrigeration systems.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Third Class Part B Paper 2 (POWR 1218)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.