This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the BC Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's examination for Part A - Paper 2 of a Third Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Upon successful completion of this course, as well as courses POWR 1215, POWR 1217 and POWR 1218, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of the Third Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the BC Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate plant equipment within the scope of a Third Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include safety, legislation and Codes, administration, combustion, piping, electricity, types of plants and instrumentation.
Below is one offering of POWR 1216 for the Spring/Summer 2022 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 24982
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
This course must be registered with POWR 1215. No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the Interprovincial examination requirements in the subjects of safety, legislation and Codes, administration, combustion, piping, electricity, types of plants, and instrumentation.
- Describe fire and safety equipment and procedures associated with industrial power plants.
- Determine, describe and calculate Code requirements for power boilers.
- Describe administration systems and procedures associated with industrial plants.
- Perform heat transfer and combustion calculations associated with fossil fuels.
- Describe piping systems and equipment associated with steam power plants.
- Describe electrical principles and industrial electrical equipment.
- Perform DC and AC electrical calculations.
- Describe processes associated with electrical generation plants, natural gas process plants and pulp and paper mills.
- Describe plant machinery installation and maintenance procedures.
- Describe power plant instrumentation and control systems and equipment.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Third Class Part a Paper 2 (POWR 1216)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.