This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience by providing further training in 3rd Class power engineering subject matter. Upon successful completion of this course, participants will have sufficient knowledge to challenge the 3rd Class, Part A, Paper 2 certificate examinations administered under the provincial regulation authority (as described in the BC Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/17_104_2004 ) Topics include Industrial Legislation and Codes; Code Calculations, ASME Section I; Fuels and Combustion; Piping; Electrotechnology; Electrical Calculations; Control Instrumentation; Industrial Safety and Fire Protection within the scope of 3rd Class, Part A, Paper 2. This course in combination with POWR 1215, POWR 1217 and POWR 1218 as well as the requisite qualifying experience should allow students the opportunity to seek 3rd class power engineer's certification with the provincial regulatory body.
- 4th Class Certificate or Departmental approval
Below is one offering of POWR 1216 for the Fall 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 31597
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
This course must be registered with POWR 1215 No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Fulfill the Interprovincial examination requirements within the scope of 3rd Class, Part A, Paper 2 in the subjects of safety, legislation and Codes; administration; combustion; piping; electricity; types of plants and instrumentation.
- Describe fire and safety equipment and procedures associated with industrial power plants.
- Determine, describe and calculate Code requirements for power boilers.
- Describe administration systems and procedures associated with industrial plants.
- Perform heat transfer and combustion calculations associated with fossil fuels.
- Describe piping systems and equipment associated with steam power plants.
- Describe electrical principles and industrial electrical equipment.
- Perform DC and AC electrical calculations.
- Describe processes associated with electrical generation plants, natural gas process plants and pulp and paper mills.
- Describe plant machinery installation and maintenance procedures.
- Describe power plant instrumentation and control systems and equipment.
Note: A copy of the reference Syllabus for Third Class Power Engineer's Examinations can be sourced from SOPEEC ( https://www.sopeec.org/syllabus/third-class/ )
Effective as of Fall 2023
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Third Class Part a Paper 2 (POWR 1216)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.