- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
In this course, students become familiarized with developing, marketing, and managing successful multi-day travel and tour products and packages. Through the use of innovative tourism-specific research tools such as EQ Toolkit, students are able to capture the concepts of value-based travel which is authentic, experiential, and transformational in order to develop more insightful tour and travel products. Students are introduced to new, evolving niche areas of travel such as: adventure, sports, culinary, health and wellness, LGBTQ2, craft, screen, and dark tourism. The packaged-travel industry will be examined from the perspective of companies working with domestic and international tour operators, including destinations, hotels, activity operators, and transportation companies. Through a major group project, students will develop a guided, multi-day tour package for a domestic or international market.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Design and develop a comprehensive tour package.
- Describe the value-based concepts of authentic, experiential, and transformational as they relate to product development.
- Explain the unique demographic and psychographic characteristics of tour package travellers.
- Describe the different roles tour operators, tour wholesalers, receptive operators, inbound operators, destination marketing organizations (DMOs), suppliers, and travel agencies play in the tourism industry.
- Explain how to utilize DMOs' marketing services to create and market tour products.
- Calculate the cost per person to charge for tour packages.
Effective as of Fall 2021
The Business of Leisure Travel (MKTG 1030) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Tourism and Hospitality
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of The Business of Leisure Travel (MKTG 1030)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.