This is an advanced course in corporate income tax, focusing on the tax planning needs of private corporations and their shareholders. In this course, the student will acquire the foundation tax knowledge and basic research skills needed to be able to do corporate tax- related work at a professional level. This is achieved through a combination of lectures, assigned readings, practice in the application of the law to practical problems, the use of income tax software for both compliance and research purposes, and training in tax research and tax writing. Topics include the computation of corporate taxes, tax integration, owner compensation, corporate re-organizations, surplus distributions, partnerships, trusts, structuring business sales and acquisitions, international business expansion, as well as issues concerning tax compliance, planning and avoidance.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Identify tax issues faced by closely held corporations and their owners.
- Use the Income Tax Act, and professional tax research tools, to determine the tax implications of the issues identified.
- Communicate the issues, the tax implications, the alternatives and recommendations.
- Use T2 software to file corporate tax returns.
- Review, advise on, and provide support for objections, appeals, and reassessments.
- Analyze and advise on tax-planning issues such as the purchase or sale of shares or assets, benefiting from the capital gains deduction on qualified small business corporation shares, succession planning, and reorganizations.
- Evaluate and advise on tax implications of alternative business decisions such as dividend versus salary, sharing small business deductions, personal service business, and acquisition of control.
- Design the use of partnerships and trusts in business and family tax planning.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Taxation of Close Corporations (FMGT 7410) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Bachelor of Accounting Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Taxation of Close Corporations (FMGT 7410)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.