This course introduces students to current issues in sustainable operations management. These issues include waste and energy minimization, globalization of operations, and closed loop value cycles. Students examine the influence of sustainability on the major operations management decisions and processes including Product/Service Design, Production and Service Delivery, Supply Chain Management, and Facilities Management. The course explores the frameworks, standards, and methodologies used to align business operations with sustainability principles.
- Acceptance into the Sustainable Business Advanced Certificate, Sustainable Business Leadership Advanced Diploma, or Bachelor of Business Administration program.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe the key operations decisions and how sustainability affects those decisions.
- Define and contrast the approaches that businesses take to sustainability.
- Analyze how sustainability principles can be used to gain competitive advantage.
- Describe the economics of environmental protection: decentralized policies, command and control policies, market-based policies.
- Discuss the key elements of a measurement system and their use to define performance.
- Apply current management frameworks (including EMS/ISO14000, LEED and C2C) to the design of operational processes.
- Describe the role of projects (and project management) in executing operations strategy.
- Apply the concepts of eco-effectiveness to the value cycle.
- Analyze the role of sustainability principles in key operational areas (including design, processes, supply chain and facilities)
- Apply process improvement methodologies to improve eco-efficiency.
- Apply design principles to improve eco-effectiveness.
- Design the key elements of a Sustainable Operations Plan.
Effective as of Fall 2020
Sustainable Business Operations (OPMT 5120) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Sustainable Business Operations (OPMT 5120)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.