Consumers, regulatory agencies, NGOs and employees are increasingly demanding change in the operational impact of the business and organizations they choose to partner with. This course identifies the key requirements of a Sustainability Management System using the B Corporation (BCorp) and ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems Standards, as well as area and subject specific standards such as Cradle to Cradle and LEED. Students investigate the critical elements of a management system and how they can be used to manage and improve the positive environmental and social impact of an organization
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Define the requirements of a good sustainability management system
- Compare the various approaches to standardization
- Describe the common elements of implementation
- Describe the verification process necessary to be certified
- Assess the gap between the current performance of an organization and the ISO and BCorp standards
- Describe how subject and area focused standards can be integrated into an overall management system
- Illustrate the role of measurement in a sustainability management system
- Evaluate the operational and structural changes required to close social and environmental performance gaps
- Apply the ISO and BCorp standards to improve sustainability performance
- Design a sustainability management system to ensure standard compliance and business performance improvement
Effective as of Fall 2020
Sustainability Management Systems for Business Leaders (OPMT 5310) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Sustainability Management Systems for Business Leaders (OPMT 5310)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.