- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. The exact cost will be displayed prior to confirming registration.
Part A of the SOTO certification is designed for "New Entrants" to the industry involved with supervision of oil transfer operations, approximately 30-hours instruction at an approved training facility. Completion of Part A, which is attested to by the issue of a BCIT Statement of Completion, and does not qualify the holder to serve as bargemaster. This certificate will only remain valid for a period of 30 months.
- MED with respect to STCW Basic Safety or MED A1 and B2, completion of a Restricted Radio Operator examination and proof of Medical Fitness ( A valid Seafarers Medical ).
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Identify substances found in crude and refined products.
- Identify internal and external health hazards.
- State the fire hazards associated with hydrocarbon on a tank barge.
- Explain the needs of cargo segregation, compatibility of cargo, and double valve separation.
- Sketch and describe the construction and operating procedures for pumps of different types.
- Understand the hazards of operating positive displacement pumps.
- Demonstrate knowledge with respect to the maintenance of different tanker equipment (Scupper plugs, Drip trays, Tank lid covers, Ullage cap covers).
- Understand the special considerations necessary when not alongside with respect to: Safety contingency plans, weather (including ice conditions), lighting, communications and control, emergency stop procedures, oil spill contingency planning, and transfer checklists.
- Understand special requirements in relation to general seamanship.
- Demonstrate proficiency of knowledge with respect to unmanned tank barge seamanship details on a tank barge.
- Gain a practical insight as to the operations carried out on board an unmanned tank barge.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Supervisor of Oil Transfer Operations Part A (MSSM 1010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.