Part C of the SOTO course is specifically designed for existing certificated personnel presently serving in the industry who have successfully completed Parts A & B. It is anticipated that Part C will be used primarily for CPE requirements, approximately 30-hours instruction at an approved training facility. A student who successfully achieves all of the requirements of Parts A, B, and C will be eligible for full Marine Safety/TC SOTO certificate of competency.
- MSSM1010 – Supervisor of Oil Transfer Operations (Part A), 3 months industry experience (Part B), MED with respect to STCW Basic Safety or MED A1 and B2, completion of a Restricted Radio Operator examination and proof of Medical Fitness ( A valid Seafarers Medical).
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Sketch and describe cargo pipelines and pump rooms on tank barges.
- Understand basic pipeline theory.
- Understand the meaning of NPSH.
- Understand why decreasing pump speed will affect tank suction.
- Understand the meaning of design point.
- Understand why low vapor pressure will improve tank suction.
- Understand why actual discharge rates are affected by static and dynamic back pressures from shore installations.
- Sketch and describe a graph showing the characteristics of a centrifugal pump.
- Understand the meaning of a shore installation curve.
- Sketch and describe a typical Q-H curve.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform routine maintenance checks.
- Understand the problem associated with heated cargo.
- Demonstrate proficiency with respect to cargo planning and calculations on a tank barge.
- Demonstrate proficiency in completing regulatory and company paperwork on a tank barge.
- List the information to be provided by the unmanned tank barge for loading and discharging.
- Outline special requirements for offshore and shore oil cargo transfers within the Arctic waters.
- Use Oil Pollution Prevention Regulations and environmental response guidelines for pollution prevention and emergency response.
- Describe procedures for operation communication between tank barge and shore facilities/relevant authorities.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Supervisor of Oil Transfer Operations - Part C (MSSM 2000)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.