- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The GMDSS was developed by the International Maritime Organization and put in force on February 1, 1992 under the SOLAS Convention amendments. The GMDSS is intended to provide an efficient SAR rescue system and also provide for Urgency, Safety, and Routine communications and dissemination of Maritime Safety Information. The material presented in this course covers the scope of the examination for the Restricted Operator’s Certificate – Maritime Commercial (ROC-MC) for the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). The Restricted Operator’s Certificate – Maritime Commercial (ROC-MC) is intended for the mariners, serving on compulsorily-fitted commercial ships within the North American A1 sea areas. It is compliant with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended in 1995 (STCW 95 Regulation IV/2). The certificate is obtained by completing an abbreviated version of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Model Course consistent with the “Near Coastal Voyage” option (STCW 95 R1/3).
- Candidates must be 18 years of age or older. Familiarity with basic computer keyboarding skills.
Below is one offering of GMDS 1500 for the Winter 2024 term.
Mon Jan 29 - Thu Feb 01 (4 days)
- 4 days
- CRN 91736
- Domestic fees $588.15International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 29 - Feb 01||Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu||08:30 - 16:00||Marine BMC|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
IMPORTANT NOTE: COURSE WILL BE HELD ON CAMPUS IN ROOM 240 Please refer to prerequisite section of webpage for information on any prerequisites.
This course offering is full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the basic features of the Maritime Mobile Service.
- Explain the concept of the GMDSS.
- Explain the GMDSS regulations relevant to Sea Area A1.
- Use the basic GMDSS equipment of a ship station in Sea Area A1.
- Use the GMDSS sub-system equipment of a ship station in Sea Area A1.
- Use proper procedures for Distress, Safety and Routine Communications.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Restricted Operator's Certificate - Maritime Commercial (GMDS 1500) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Bridge Watch Rating
Associate Certificate Full-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Restricted Operator's Certificate - Maritime Commercial (GMDS 1500)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.