This course provides an overview of the major human resource and industrial relations processes and issues in the BC workplace with emphasis on the value of the worker and the overall effectiveness of modern human resource management. Students will develop an understanding of the skills and abilities required for effective interviewing, performance management, compensation reviews, labour contract negotiations, training and development programs, grievance and collective agreement administration. The course also includes an overview of relevant employment laws.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of HRMG 6010 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 05 - Tue Dec 12 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 44406
Class meeting times
|Sep 05 - Dec 12||Tue||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby SW03 Rm. 4785|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Departmental approval needed
This course is restricted to students enrolled in the Advanced Diploma in Business Management. For registration approval, please email your name and student ID to email@example.com. This is an in-person class held weekly at the Burnaby campus.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Outline the programs and processes associated with acquiring and maintaining an effective and efficient workforce.
- Analyze the key human resource management issues facing Canadian organizations.
- Explain the generally accepted procedures of major human resource management processes and programs, including recruitment and selection, compensation, and performance management.
- Interpret employment laws and regulations that apply to employers operating in British Columbia.
- Compare and contrast unionized and nonunionized workplaces and the different relationship management strategies that are appropriate to each.
- Assess the implications unionization has on workplace culture, processes, and roles for employees, unions, and employers.
- Describe the primary functions and principles of collective agreements and contract administration.
Effective as of Fall 2014
Strategic HR/LR Management (HRMG 6010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Business Management - Advanced Diploma
Advanced Diploma Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Strategic HR/LR Management (HRMG 6010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.