- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
In today’s changing creative environment designers must do more than simply ‘design things’. Graphic designers apply principles of visual communication to express their client's message, but must also work within the context of a business strategy and goals to be fully successful. This course examines how design supports and reinforces the business goals of a client through application of critical components of the design process: research, analysis, concept development and evaluation. You will also explore standard business practices and working effectively with clients. Principles, concepts, and techniques will be applied through the comprehensive development of a large and major campaign project. You will also analyze and evaluate work through discussion, critiques, and verbal and written presentations.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Conduct basic research required for establishing project goals.
- Identify and use a range of research approaches.
- Identify resources for implementing more comprehensive research.
- Define a project’s goals and audience in the context of a business’ goals.
- Write a professional business research report.
- Write a creative proposal for a presentation.
- Write key messages for campaigns.
- Work effectively with a client by implementing a process to achieve project goals.
- Develop creative concepts that are in line with business marketing strategy.
- Analyze and evaluate a design concept within a strategic campaign through development of a concept proposal.
- Implement standard business practices relating to the design profession.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Strategic Design for Business (MDIA 2088) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Strategic Design for Business (MDIA 2088)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.