In today’s changing creative environment designers must do more than simply ‘design things’. Graphic designers apply principles of visual communication to express their client's message, but must also work within the context of a business strategy and goals to be fully successful. This course examines how design supports and reinforces the business goals of a client through application of critical components of the design process: research, analysis, concept development and evaluation. You will also explore standard business practices and working effectively with clients. Principles, concepts, and techniques will be applied through the comprehensive development of a large and major campaign project. You will also analyze and evaluate work through discussion, critiques, and verbal and written presentations.
Below is one offering of MDIA 2088 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 05 - Thu Mar 23 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 77222
Class meeting times
|Jan 05 - Mar 23||Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
MDIA 1040, MDIA 1049, MDIA 1105, MDIA 1160 & MDIA 1180 MUST be completed before registering into MDIA 2088. Required for first class: Sketchbook size 8.5” x 11” (from which pages can be removed), pencils and a fine tipped black pen/marker (non-bleed). This is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. It is important you have a stable and consistent internet connection to access course content. Please log into learn.bcit.ca using your BCIT student email and password on the first day of class. You will require access to the Adobe Creative Cloud in order to complete this course. Students who are currently registered in one or more part-time courses can purchase a subscription for Adobe Creative Cloud Pro at a discount through BCIT’s new software portal kb.bcit.ca/student/adobe-creative-cloud-subscription-part-time-student-3130 If this section is full, you can add your contact information to the School of Business Waitlist: sobptswaitlist.bcitsitecentre.ca
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Conduct basic research required for establishing project goals.
- Identify and use a range of research approaches.
- Identify resources for implementing more comprehensive research.
- Define a project’s goals and audience in the context of a business’ goals.
- Write a professional business research report.
- Write a creative proposal for a presentation.
- Write key messages for campaigns.
- Work effectively with a client by implementing a process to achieve project goals.
- Develop creative concepts that are in line with business marketing strategy.
- Analyze and evaluate a design concept within a strategic campaign through development of a concept proposal.
- Implement standard business practices relating to the design profession.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Strategic Design for Business (MDIA 2088) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Strategic Design for Business (MDIA 2088)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.