- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Technology has an impact on every aspect of our social lives, and in society in general. We are for the most part well aware of this, and yet we tend to oversimplify the issues. We often speak of technology on the assumption that its impact is either intrinsically positive or intrinsically negative as a whole, and often accept the idea that there is an inevitably regarding the whole process. The reality of the impact of technology is nuanced. Technology must be understood and interpreted, so we can be active players when engaging with it. Specific technologies can make our lives better or worse. They can help to make us better citizens or limit our freedoms. This course will help you understand the landscape and develop informed opinions about the issues as you come to understand you don't have to be fearful, but you do have to be careful. *Note: Thank you for your interest in a BCIT – Free Online Learning course. You are about to register for the course. If you are new to BCIT, you will first need to create a BCIT ID. Then, log in with your ID and password to register. Once registered, log in to learn.bcit.ca with your BCIT email address and password to access your online course. If you are new to BCIT, it may take up to 24 hours for your course access to become active. Because these are not credited courses, and you are not paying a fee, there may be student resources you come across that you are not entitled to access. This would include Student Aid and other financial assistance. Enjoy your learning and we’re happy to support your lifelong learning journey.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MOOC 0211 for the Fall 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 48928
- Domestic fees $0.00International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain how technology has changed money
- Identify the effects of social media on individuals and society
- Understand the risks of technology-based gaming
- Understand the social impact of smart devices, artificial intelligence and robotics
- Describe the benefits and risks of remote working and learning
- Understand the future of renewables
Effective as of Winter 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Social Impact of Technology (MOOC 0211)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.