Students will study the current edition of the BC Building Access Handbook and BC Building Code Part 9 - Housing & Small Buildings, to apply a working knowledge of compliance, codes objectives, definitions and appendices as they relate to the residential built environment. Students will locate and interpret the applicable codes to make appropriate design decisions required for topics such as fire protection, occupant safety and accessibility for both new and existing residential applications. Students will explore code requirements and CSA standards relating to kitchens, baths, and adaptable housing, and identify code requirements for passive homes in BC.
Below is one offering of INTR 3040 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Wed Mar 22 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 83156
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Mar 22||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 352|
***Please note*** - Students who do not meet the mandatory prerequisites will be dropped without notice. If you wish to be placed on the INTD department maintained waitlist for this course, please email INTD_Waitlist@bcit.ca with the following information: Your name, student number, course number, and CRN. Waitlist requests are not accepted until after 9:30am on registration day.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate existing drawings for a residential space to assess code compliance.
- Navigate the BC Building Code to locate specific information.
- Determine occupancy classification and life safety standards for interior residential spaces.
- Identify third-party evaluators and their role in the creation of building codes.
- Describe the impact BC Energy Codes has on the residential built environment.
- Generate design solutions for a residential space, which demonstrate code compliance and accessibility standards.
Effective as of Winter 2016
Residential Building Codes & Accessibility (INTR 3040) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Residential Building Codes & Accessibility (INTR 3040)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.