- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course is designed to help students to prepare for the academic writing demands of post-secondary study. Students will be introduced to university-level writing and critical reading, and receive help with basic writing and grammar. Preparation for Academic Writing is intended for students who need to improve their writing and citation skills before enrolling in post-secondary courses, including courses such as ENGL 1177. The course focuses on the study and application of the principles of university-level writing, with particular emphasis on exposition, persuasion, and proper citation. In several language workshops, students will also aim to develop reading comprehension skills, strengthen their understanding of grammar, and gain practice writing sentences, paragraphs, and short essays. ENGL 1077 is not eligible for university transfer credit; the course may be used for entry into ENGL 1177.
- Students must have one of the following: 1) English 12 "50%" (PASS) or equivalent (refer to BCIT's Admission page); 2) COMM 0015 score of 50 or better.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Show an understanding of basic principles of grammar and composition.
- Identify and compose a variety of sentence types to achieve a given aim.
- Identify and compose thesis statements suited to a given purpose.
- Write effective summaries of an essay or article or part of one.
- Compose a well-structured short-essay which analyses ideas or arguments contained in the course readings and discussions.
- Compose a well-structured persuasive essay which uses sources from course readings.
- Present oral arguments in class discussion that demonstrate skill in critical thinking.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic citation procedures.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Preparation for Academic Writing (ENGL 1077)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.