This course is designed for those who are confident with the fundamentals of digital photography and are now ready to broaden one's skills by refining shooting style and expanding on elements of design. Each session will explore multiple approaches to photography, with the aim of challenging one's understanding of visual aesthetics. Students will learn what's essential to add and subtract from the scene in order to obtain an intriguing and unique composition, and more importantly how to fill the frame with a distinguishable narrative. There is an emphasis on using the camera's shutter speed creatively to generate unusual and impactful photographs. Students will have the opportunity to explore Street, Documentary and Landscape Photography, while relying on one's own judgement to turn mundane situations into extraordinary moments. We finish off this course by optimizing the highlights, shadows, color shades and tones in Adobe Photoshop. Use of a DSLR or Mirrorless camera (not supplied by BCIT) is REQUIRED for the duration of this course. Compact cameras and GoPros are NOT acceptable. BCST 1198 is suggested, but not required to take this course. Students with a solid understanding of manual camera operations are welcome.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 2198 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Sep 19 - Mon Nov 21 (9 weeks)
- 9 weeks
- CRN 48272
Class meeting times
|Sep 19 - Nov 21||Mon||18:00 - 22:00||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
You will be expected to attend online during the posted class meeting times as this is not a self-paced course. Adobe Creative Cloud is required in order to complete this course. Students who are actively registered in one or more part-time courses can purchase a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud Pro at a discount through BCIT’s new software portal: kb.bcit.ca/student/adobe-creative-cloud-subscription-part-time-student-3130. There will be no classes on October 10th.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Overcome the fear of design in photography and start discovering it in the world around them
- Understand the power of lines, patterns, shapes, form, etc.
- Compose photographs with acute proficiency
- Gain a solid understanding of their own style in designing photographs
- Experience the main genres of photography in real life situations
- Add to their skills by studying the styles and approaches of celebrated photographers
- Blur any moving subject to create unpredictable quirky shots
- Shoot long exposure and capture good bokeh in the landscape or the streets
- Touch up and boost the colors and tones in Photoshop by creating multiple adjustment layers
Effective as of Fall 2021
Photography: Master Your Framing (BCST 2198) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Photography: Master Your Framing (BCST 2198)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.