In this course, you will explore the Wolf billing software system, including data entry for both manual and computer billing to the Medical Services Plan (MSP) of British Columbia. We will address billing for visits, supplementary items, and diagnostic procedures carried out in a medical office, a hospital, or home. It is essential that you learn how to accurately process claims and forms related to alternate billing such as what is needed for WorkSafeBC, the Insurance Corporation of BC, reciprocal procedures, and private companies. Emphasis is placed on the Preamble, Fee, and Diagnostic Code Schedule from MSP of BC. You will create a computerized medical clinic, register new doctors, new patients, and newborns. You will generate an electronic appointment schedule with appointment codes and computer reports through to the completion of accurate billing records.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of OFFC 1007 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 13 - Tue Nov 29 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 41237
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Nov 29||Tue||18:30 - 21:30||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
*Online delivery, this is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. *Computer, Microphone, and Webcam required. * Minimum typing speed of 35wpm recommended for this class. * Attendance to the first class is mandatory, no late registrations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain why it is important to maintain confidentiality when performing medical billing.
- Complete alternate billing and collection procedures.
- Locate information on eligibility, services covered, services not covered, fee codes, and diagnostic codes by navigating the Medical Services Plan website.
- Bill the Medical Services Plan by using the Preamble, Fee, and Diagnostic Code Schedule from MSP of BC.
- Follow the steps of submission using Teleplan.
- Reject bills by following the appropriate guidelines.
- Demonstrate how to register patients, perform basic MSP billing, bill WorkSafeBC, bill ICBC, bill reciprocally, bill private and third party companies, and interpret explanatory codes when dealing with billing rejections.
- Generate posted medical billing reports that demonstrate accuracy and attention to detail.
- Apply problem solving skills to find and edit medical billing errors.
- Register new doctors to an existing clinic by assigning new appointment codes, setting up an electronic appointment schedule, and scheduling patients into computerized day sheets.
Effective as of Fall 2018
Medical Billing Practices (OFFC 1007) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Medical Billing Practices (OFFC 1007)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.