Citizens, consumers, regulatory agencies, NGOs, and employees are increasingly demanding change in the social and environmental impacts of businesses and organizations. Business has entered a new era where success is based on the value returned to all stakeholders. As a result, businesses are building social equity and planetary boundaries into their strategy and business models. This course provides students with foundational knowledge of sustainable business theory and practices. It covers the core functional areas of a business (accounting, management, marketing, and operations). Students learn how these core functions are transforming to address the sustainability imperative.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define sustainability and explain its relevance to business.
- Evaluate business sustainability claims and commitments.
- Explain corporate social responsibility (CSR); environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG); stakeholder theory; and planetary boundaries.
- Articulate the role of private sector leadership in global collective action problems.
- Explain the corporate governance mechanisms that ensure sustainable business practices.
- Distinguish between sustainable performance and legal frameworks.
- Understand commonly accepted global frameworks and reporting standards (e.g., SDGs, GRI, B Corp) and the role of reporting in achieving transparency.
- Explain the role of risk management, supply chain management, business operations in sustainable business.
Effective as of Fall 2020
Introduction to Sustainable Business Management (BUSA 1110) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Marketing Management (Marketing Communications Option)
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Sustainable Business Management (BUSA 1110)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.