Measuring and reporting on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance is at the heart of sustainable business. This course introduces students to accounting and finance concepts necessary for sustainable business practice. The course covers how an organization determines its material impacts and measures and reports on its ESG performance. Students are introduced to how impact and sustainability are being incorporated into financial practices such as investing, banking, and financing. The course explores current impact reporting methods and how organizations embed measurement and reporting into their day-to-day operations to reduce negative and increase positive environmental and social impacts while increasing assurance, profits, returns, and competitive advantage.
- Acceptance into the Sustainable Business Advanced Certificate, Sustainable Business Leadership Advanced Diploma, or Bachelor of Business Administration program.
Below is one offering of FMGT 5330 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 12 - Thu Mar 30 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 89545
Class meeting times
|Jan 12 - Mar 30||Thu||17:30 - 19:20||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
Reserved for students registered in BCIT’s BBA and Sustainable Business Advanced Certificate and Advanced Diploma programs. Sustainable Business students, can register themselves online. BBA students, please contact SBL@BCIT.ca to register. Course includes a combination of live class time and independent online work each week.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe the field of accounting for sustainability.
- Assess corporate reporting of sustainable business practices.
- Analyze sustainable reporting standards including Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), Taskforce on Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and Integrated Reporting (IR).
- Compare and critique the conclusions, recommendations, and limitations of reporting methods and standards.
- Calculate and account for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions using the GHG Protocol.
- Assess the impact of social and environmental costs and market regulation (e.g. pollution pricing and disclosure) on business.
- Describe Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) and Social Return on Investments (SROI).
Effective as of Fall 2021
Impact Measurement & Reporting (FMGT 5330) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Impact Measurement & Reporting (FMGT 5330)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.