- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This 80-hour practicum takes place in either a hospital department, physician's office, clinic, or related healthcare facility and enables students to apply the skills that they have learnt in the BCIT Unit Clerk Associate Certificate. For many, this experience is their gateway into the healthcare system. Some keys to a successful practicum experience include having excellent communication skills, compassion for patients, maintaining confidentiality, having a keen eye for detail, being fluent in anatomy, terminology, and pharmacology, and being software savvy. The course also includes class time to help students prepare for a successful workplace experience. Students will write a resume and cover letter matched to a unit clerk position and prepare for an interview. For some practicum positions (e.g., in hospitals), students will require the following: Current certification of the two-day St. John Ambulance Standard First Aid for Industry—WorkSafeBC Level 1 Equivalent course, which includes CPR level C and AED content; a criminal record check; up-to-date immunizations; a minimum keyboarding speed of 55 words per minute; and successful completion of a terminology test. Note: Since first aid certifications expire, we recommend that students complete the above First Aid course shortly before the Practicum.
Below is one offering of CLRK 2500 for the Winter 2024 term.
Fri Jan 05 - Fri Mar 22 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 91843
- Domestic fees $493.58International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 05 - Mar 22||Fri||18:00 - 21:00||Other|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This practicum takes place in either a hospital department, physician's office, clinic, or related healthcare facility and enables students to apply the skills that they have learnt in the BCIT Unit Clerk Associate Certificate.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Write a targeted cover letter and resume.
- Demonstrate that they are prepared for a practicum interview.
- Demonstrate effective communication, interpersonal, and team skills in all work duties where communication skills require clear spoken and written English, correct medical terminology, accurate spelling, and correct grammar.
- Show patience and compassion when dealing with patients, while maintaining privacy.
- Demonstrate professionalism in all work duties.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, decision-making, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Process physicians' orders.
- Record notes and enter information accurately and reconfirm, as is needed.
- Maintain patient files confidentially and accurately.
- Schedule and rearrange appointments accurately.
- Demonstrate accurate billing procedures.
- Identify and explain the structure and functions of each body system.
- Use anatomy terminology to communicate with healthcare professionals.
- Demonstrate patient preparation for various visits and medical procedures.
- List the major drugs and drug classes currently used in medical practice.
- Demonstrate how to use medical equipment.
- Perform the infection control protocol needed for a given situation.
Effective as of Winter 2023
Healthcare Unit Clerk Practicum (CLRK 2500) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Healthcare Unit Clerk
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Healthcare Unit Clerk Practicum (CLRK 2500)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.