- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course is an online introductory course designed for the students from different engineering disciplines who are interested in learning fundamentals of electric circuits and systems. The course also introduces the necessary combination of other engineering aspects used in power systems analysis and design including basic mathematics, introduction to power electronics and VFD, introduction to communication systems and information technology. Power systems topics for this course include: introduction to single and three-phase AC circuits, power transformers, three-phase induction and synchronous machines, transmission and distribution lines, power flow and balanced and unbalanced fault analysis. Introduction to power system transient analysis and protection, control are also presented. Modelling and analysis of power systems are supplemented using engineering software tools. The course is also considered as a bridging course for those who are willing to pursue with the Master of Engineering in Smart Grid Systems and Technologies at BCIT.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of ELEX 0102 for the Winter 2024 term.
Thu Feb 22 - Thu Jun 13 (17 weeks)
- 17 weeks
- CRN 91078
- Domestic fees $787.30International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Feb 22 - Jun 13
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Guided learning format.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Note: BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of a course cancellation, you will be notified at least two business days prior to the course start. Please ensure that your contact information is current.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize the parameters of an AC circuit, its electrical quantities and relationship among voltage, current, power and impedances
- Understand the design and function of different components of electrical power circuits and system such as transformer, three-phase induction and synchronous machines
- Prepare a single line representation of an electrical power circuit/system
- Understand per unit technique as a tool to perform AC system calculations
- Understand the fundamental of power electronics and their application in electric machine speed control as a VFD
- Realize AC power quality and its impact on electrical equipment
- Understand power transmission and distribution line parameters and their design
- Perform power flow analysis in a power system during a normal operating condition
- Learn how to use Symmetrical Component tool to analyze power flow in a power system during an abnormal operating condition
- Understand transient behaviour of power systems under different conditions such as switching and start-up.
- Understand the purpose and function of protection and control methods of power system.
- Familiarize with communication system and information technology and understand their role in modern power system as a smart grid
- Use engineering software to perform analysis of an electrical power system
Effective as of Winter 2023
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fundamentals of Power Systems and Circuits (ELEX 0102)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.