Covers the basic principles of conventional motor control for those working in an industrial setting.
- Familiarity with wiring methods and AC Motor operation.
Below is one offering of TELC 0130 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 13 - Thu Oct 13 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 36404
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Oct 13||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Burnaby SE01 Rm. 216A|
|Sep 13 - Oct 13||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Burnaby SE01 Rm. 221|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
Textbooks are not required. This course DOES NOT carry a waitlist and space is limited. Registration is processed on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED basis. In the case of course cancellation, students will be notified. Ensure your contact information (e.g. personal email address) is current. For inquiries, email BCIT_Electrical@bcit.ca
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the features of manual motor starters.
- Draw diagrams for manual AC motor starters.
- Connect and test manual motor starters.
- Identification of common symbols & their application in motor control diagrams.
- Describe the features & construction of three-phase, across-the-line magnetic motor starters.
- Draw & label schematic diagrams for basic motor control circuits.
- Convert between schematic & wiring diagrams.
- Describe features of common control devices.
- Connect & operate simple three-wire control circuits.
- Describe features of control and time delay relays.
- Describe features and applications of plugging switches.
- Develop circuit diagrams involving automatic and sequence control.
- Check fuses & perform safety isolation on a fusible disconnect switch.
- Describe simple troubleshooting procedures for magnetic starters & controls.
- Interpret CEC rules & regulation about magnetic motor starters.
- Describe features of programmable relays.
- Develop programs using relay logic.
- Connect, operate and program programmable relays.
Effective as of Winter 2018
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Motor Control (TELC 0130)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.