This course introduces students to advanced fiber optic topics including optical network designs, fiber optic analysis using link budgets, Optical Loss Test Sets (OLTS) and Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR). Troubleshooting is emphasized for new installations as well as maintaining existing systems as students gain hands-on experience testing optical components installed in outside plant systems to current ANSI/TIA (American National Standards Institute / Telecommunications Industry Association) standards. Upon completion, students will be prepared for the Fiber Optic Association (FOA) industry recognized exam for Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT).
- 70% in TELX 3010
Below is one offering of TELX 3020 for the Fall 2023 term.
Sat Nov 18 - Sat Dec 02 (3 weeks)
- 3 weeks
- CRN 50339
Class meeting times
|Nov 18 - Dec 02||Sat||09:00 - 16:00||Burnaby NE25 Rm. 206|
- Departmental approval needed
This program is part of a training initiative to provide workers with new skills needed to support a clean economy. It is temporarily being fully funded for Canadian citizens and permanent residents by Canadian Colleges for a Resilient Recovery (C2R2) and the Government of Canada. For more information and to register for this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. 3. This is the second course in the Fiber Optics - Principles, Installation and Repair Microcredential program. 4. Note: BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of a course cancellation, you will be notified at least two business days prior to the course start. Please ensure that your contact information is current in your myBCIT account.
This course offering is full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify modern day communication networks using fiber optics.
- Assemble outside plant fiber cable into an outdoor splice enclosure using a fusion splicer.
- Describe how to install fiber cables following industry and manufacture standards.
- Calculate a fiber optic link/power budget using current TIA standards.
- Demonstrate fiber optic connector end-face cleaning and inspection.
- Analyze a fiber optic system with an Optical Loss Test Set to current TIA standards
- Test a fiber optic system using an Optical Time Domain Reflectometer
- Test and troubleshoot a failed fiber optic link using current TIA standards
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2023
Fiber Optics: Testing and Repair (TELX 3020) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
- Fiber Optics - Principles, Installation and Repair
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fiber Optics: Testing and Repair (TELX 3020)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.