Understanding how buyers and sellers manage risk with a variety of international payments, cargo insurance, properly completed commercial documents and export packaging leads students to where they can offer alternative solutions to their clients. This program concludes with professional costing and quoting. Note: Registration and course fee payment is made with Canadian International Freight Forwarding Association (CIFFA). To register: learning.ciffa.com
- 50% in TDMT 1204
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define roles of all parties, involved in the successful execution of a letter of credit.
- Identify types of letters of credit and their usage.
- Identify terminology, definitions and documents contained in UCP 600.
- Read and interpret the conditions on a letter of credit.
- Identify other methods of international payments.
- Identify risks to the exporter and importer for each method of payment.
- Complete a Commercial Invoice, Certificate of Origin, Export Declaration and commercial documents.
- Identify types and suitability of packaging for shipments moved by ocean and air.
- Identify the types of warehouses available and the effective layout and design of warehouses to improve efficiencies.
- Complete step-by-step procedures for successful Insurance claims handling, including timing and documentation requirements.
- Review case studies that illustrate the importance of shipping alternatives.
- Prepare a quotation for multi-modal movements and calculate the profit/loss for the shipment.
- Identify security weaknesses in the supply chain.
- Identify dangerous goods.
Effective as of Winter 2013
Essentials of Freight Forwarding (CIFFA) (TDMT 1205) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- International Trade and Transportation Logistics
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Essentials of Freight Forwarding (CIFFA) (TDMT 1205)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.