This course seeks to assist students to understand the complexities of how construction affects the environment, while looking at the environmental factors that affect construction. From sustainable construction, to building lifecycle assessments, and environmental impact to green energy technology and more; how construction projects are managed with consideration to the whole environment they are built in is vital in today's world. Government legislation, Indigenous relations, stakeholder liability and project impacts to all will be discussed. Course material covers contaminated sites, the hazards, and site remediation. Construction methodologies to reduce pollution and waste, build green, LEED project stipulations, and practices to promote long term environmental protection are all key topics to construction managers in today's marketplace.
- Admission into the Construction Management degree program.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the effects construction has on the environment, and some of the methodologies currently being used to mitigate these effects.
- Describe environmental factors that affect projects and the related legislation intended to protect the environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of environmental issues on project sites by outlining mitigative measures to be taken.
- Categorize the principles of waste handling, and hazardous materials, in site demolition and construction.
- Interpret LEED criteria and sustainable initiatives on their projects.
- Propose and plan for best management and design practices to protect the environment we work in.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Environmental Considerations in Construction (CMGT 7660) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Construction Management
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Environmental Considerations in Construction (CMGT 7660)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.