Today, every company is in the media business – whether they know it or not. That’s why it’s crucial to learn how to use both online and broadcast media to tell your story. The way to build a strong company and brand in today’s online world is by winning the attention of your target audience through the essential skill of storytelling. Whether it takes the form of a podcast, blog, video content or any of the other countless online methods of online communication, storytelling and pure human communication will never become obsolete. The focus of this course is honing your storytelling skills to create compelling and powerful content that will stand out in this cluttered new media landscape.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 3121 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Wed Apr 05 (14 weeks)
- 14 weeks
- CRN 88572
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Apr 05||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Please note that the lecture component for this course is asynchronous, not requiring you to meet online at a specific time, however, there will be set deadlines for assignments and exams.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify professional communicators and provide examples of the most successful forms of social media they engage.
- Develop the skills to communicate a focused message clearly.
- Provide examples of how to weave your own personality into any message.
- Use humour, emotion, and opinion in your storytelling.
- Define the elements of corporate storytelling.
- Describe the concept of narrowcasting.
- Transition your work from the written word to a relaxed, live presentation in front of the camera.
- Create succinct and entertaining Twitter and FaceBook content that enhances your personal brand.
- Demonstrate effective online strategies for getting your content seen by the most viewers through the many forms of social media.
Effective as of Winter 2021
Discover Your Inner Storyteller (BCST 3121) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Discover Your Inner Storyteller (BCST 3121)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.