- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
In this course you will explore the various aspects of colour and identify many ways of integrating colour for effective communication in design layouts. You will see the significance of colour application through numerous research and design samples. This will enable you to apply your understanding of various colour modes, colour functions, colour attributes, colour psychology, and colour physiology in your own work. The classes will also let you analyze how others solve visual colour challenges in an effective manner so you can be inspired to be creative in generating designs that have a unique and outstanding use of colour.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Identify, define, and apply primary, secondary and tertiary hues.
- Define colour terminology and applications.
- Predict how vision, brain interpretation, and light quality can affect human colour perception.
- Analyze and apply the various functions of colour within a design project.
- Achieve effective compositional harmony through creating and applying colour schemes.
- Organize content and direct the eye through laying out colours in a design composition that follows principles of design and colour contrast.
- Adjust colour choices to fall within a specified gamut range by applying colour theory principles.
- Create, apply, and mix colours using graphic application features including the Adobe Color panel and a mobile device app.
- Edit colours quickly and efficiently using the Adobe Colour Guide.
- Communicate effectively by using colour contrast in typography.
- Analyze a client’s needs to determine what colour trends should be applied.
- Identify and apply different colour attributes and modes including HSB, CMYK, and RGB.
- Select appropriate colours for web and print applications.
- Demonstrate the various uses of Pantone Matching System colours.
- Apply colour psychology to communicate a message or a mood to the relative target market.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Color Theory for Design (MDIA 1140) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Media Techniques and Marketing Communications
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Color Theory for Design (MDIA 1140)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.