In this course, you will be presented with the clinical procedures and tests commonly performed in medical settings. You will be taught relevant theory about clinical procedures. You will develop a beginning competency in selected clinical skills. You will gain knowledge of the basic instruments, equipment, and supplies used in medical settings. This course will help you develop the skills to assist physicians, and prepare patients for tests and examinations. You will practice setting up an examination room with the appropriate equipment and supplies for examinations. You will learn the correct procedure for sterilization techniques and properly disposing of bio-hazardous materials.
- 65% in OFFC 1001
Below is one offering of OFFC 1045 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 15 - Thu Dec 01 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 45361
Class meeting times
|Sep 15 - Dec 01||Thu||18:30 - 21:30||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
*Online delivery, this is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. *Textbook is required for first class. Find it at the Distance & Online campus bookstore and on their website: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance/. *Computer, Microphone, and Webcam required. *Students will need to purchase their own supplies needed for this course, a list will be provided at a later date. * Permission required to register for this course IF the prerequisite has not been completed. Contact the Program Assistant Sferguson38@bcit.ca with your student number. * Attendance to the first class is mandatory, no late registrations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply basic infection control and medical/surgical asepsis techniques used in medical offices and examination rooms.
- Demonstrate asepsis handwashing techniques.
- Describe the differences between non-pathogens and pathogens.
- Outline the infection process cycle.
- List examples of medical waste and explain how to discard each waste.
- Describe various x-ray and diagnostic procedures.
- State the three components of a complete physical examination.
- Coordinate patient appointments with specialists.
- Describe each vital sign.
- Accurately measure each vital sign.
- Perform urine dips and pregnancy testing.
- Chart the results of urine and pregnancy tests.
- Perform eye examinations using the Snellen Chart.
- Assist with gynecological examinations.
- Assist with initial prenatal examinations.
- Set up the basic instruments and equipment used in a medical office.
- Prepare an examination room.
- Prepare patients for examinations and various clinical and diagnostic tests.
- Measure and record a patient's height, weight, and vital signs.
- Accurately chart and document patient data.
- State ways that patient confidentiality can be compromised.
- Order clinical, laboratory, and Pap supplies.
- Maintain medical/surgical instruments.
- Sterilize medical instruments and the wrapping and packaging.
- Operate and maintain an autoclave.
- Interpret the results of different sterilization indicators.
- Navigate websites to obtain information and print forms and requisitions for different laboratory and diagnostic tests and examinations.
- Prepare patients for various tests and examinations.
- Describe the role of Public Health regarding immunizations and other health issues.
- Describe the role WorkSafeBC plays for both patients and employees.
- Describe information that the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC provides.
Effective as of Fall 2018
Clinical Procedures (OFFC 1045) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Medical Office Assistant
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Clinical Procedures (OFFC 1045)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.